Apple, dessert, Pie
Bacon Apple Pie
Recipe - No. 2
1 Hour 15 Minutes
Behind the story
I Read Somewhere Abe Lincoln Liked Bacon & Apples
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- ¾ cup packed-in brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. freshly grated nutmet
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 6 cups granny smith apples (1 ½ - 2 lbs. of
1. Place pie shell on baking sheet and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, blend the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves together with your fingertips.
3. Add in apples and toss in mixture to coat.
4. Place coated apple slices into the pie shell (including any sugar and juices that have accumulated in the bowl).
5. Weave the uncooked bacon on top of the pie filling, starting from the center and working your way out to the edges. Weave in an over-under pattern with 5 pieces going vertically and five pieces going horizontally.
6. Trim the edges and pinch the crust to seal the filling in.
Preheat the grill to 350 degrees, and prep for indirect heat. If you have a 4-burner, ignite the two outside burners, leaving an area in the center of the grill for indirect heat. If you have fewer than 4 burners, use only one of the outside burners, leaving an area for indirect heat.
Place on grill over indirect heat and let cook for 1 hour 15 minutes (checking periodically) until golden brown and bacon is crisp.
Allow pie to cool for 1 hour before serving.